The Inconvenience of Christ

Two weeks ago, I shared the parable of Lazarus and the rich man (Luke 16:19-31) with my students. After sorting through the inevitable afterlife questions that arose, we landed on the sin of the rich man. "He didn't do anything, that's why he was in Hades," one of the students commented. 

That remark led us to reflect on our lives and the places of indifference that dominate our attitudes. At the end, we realized that the rich man never treated Lazarus like a human being. He treated him as an animal, letting him eat the crumbs from the table (see Matt. 15:27). He treated Lazarus like a servant in the afterlife, refusing to speak directly to him, and demanding that he be served still. I quoted Paul saying, "not all of Abraham's descendants were children of Abraham," because not every descendant walked the path of obedience like Abraham.

This past week, I went to Las Vegas to celebrate Thanksgiving with some family members. We were wandering down Fremont street Saturday when a homeless man approached me. 


"Hey brother, I'm tryin' to get some food ca-"


"I don't have any change," I said without looking up. 


"Alright thanks,"


"Bye," and I walked away.


I'm a moody person. And that day, I wasn't in a good mood. And if I'm not in a good mood, I can guarantee that the work of Christ is the last thing on my mind. In fact, Jesus is inconvenient unless I feel otherwise. Forgive me, God. 


My mood and feelings often dictate my response to those around me. And the Gospel seeps out of me only when I find it convenient. This homeless dude, begging for money, was an inconvenience and not a human being. And I treated him as such. I was short, disengaged, and looming above him with my chin held high. 

I walked a block ahead, and started texting. I looked up at one point and saw the man approach a woman who didn't even respond to him. She just turned and lifted her camera to her face. He dropped his head and walked away. He found more shaking heads as he walked along and explained his situation. I imagined this was a normal day for him. 


Watching the man, I noticed he had a cane. For some reason, the Spirit took my mind back to Lazarus sitting at the gate of the rich man. I imagined Lazarus carried a cane. I saw the dogs coming to lick his sores, and Lazarus smiled at their company. Then, the gates behind Lazarus opened, and I walked out of them wearing my expensive garbs, texting on my Iphone 5, and then stepping into my new car. Only to drive off to my next awaited feast. I saw this vision several times.

I remembered, too, my words to my students, "To outright ignore another human being is to treat them as if they are not human, and therefore, not worth noticing. Don't make the mistake the rich man made. Treat others as you want to be treated." I also remembered Ander's previous reflection: You save by grace because you are saved by grace. 


I didn't show this man grace because I didn't feel like it. I was lazy, apathetic, and only concerned for my own feelings. Since the homeless dude was an inconvenience, and not a human being, Christ was an inconvenience, too. Christ is always the inconvenience. Correct me if I'm wrong in assuming that the 'least of these' is Christ himself. 


I slipped my phone into my pocket, dropped my head, and whispered, "Spirit, forgive me." I lifted my head and eyes and approached the hobbling man. 


"I'm sorry." 


"What?" 


"I'm sorry for my attitude. You wanna get some food?" I said pointing to the pizza stand adjacent to us.


He fumbled for words for the longest time, nervously looking around. I'm not sure he knew what to do with an apology.


"Can I buy you some pizza?" I repeated. 


"I'm diabetic. That pizza is too damn greasy and its gonna get my stomach all in fits. I'm thinkin' some Chinese." 


I laughed. 


"You think Chinese food is gonna be better?" 


"They do me right in there. They know what I can eat." 


"Ok, where is it?"


"Three blocks that way," he pointed the opposite direction. 


"Is there anywhere closer? My family is about to take off." 


"I'll get some shawarma," he pointed to the building next to us, "but they gonna make you pay for it." 


"Shawarma sounds good. What's your name?"


"Curtis. Yours?"


"I'm Garrett." 


We walked into the shawarma joint and he got something with Turkey and Avocado. I swiped my card (I really didn't have change on me), we chatted for some time, and then said goodbye. Pushing back outside, my mother-in-law said, "Good job, Mr. Mostowski." I smiled and figured she was referring to this parable:


“What do you think? A man had two sons. And he went to the first and said, ‘Son, go and work in the vineyard today.’ And he answered, ‘I will not,’ but afterward he changed his mind and went. And he went to the other son and said the same. And he answered, ‘I go, sir,’ but did not go. Which of the two did the will of his father?” They said, “The first.” Jesus said to them, “Truly, I say to you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes go into the kingdom of God before you. For John came to you in the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes believed him. And even when you saw it, you did not afterward change your minds and believe him. (ESV)







No comments:

Post a Comment